Thursday, July 22, 2010

Servant Leadership

To deepen my scripture study, for the last year or so, I write each day about that day's reading. It's only one page, and I just jot down ideas of why I think this scripture appeals to me. With no other thoughts today (except for a safe surgery for mom), here is my scripture study.
"...if thou wilt be a servant unto this people this day, and will serve them, and answer them, and speak good words to them, then they will be thy servants forever." 1 Kings 12:7
I'm often surprised at how relevant and fresh are the words of the Old Testament. Servant leadership, it is a management model gaining popularity. The simple words of these men 3,000 years ago apply today: serve people, answer them [hear them first!], and speak good words to them. My favorite boss's applied those principles, and I would work for them again and again.
When the nieces were out, we went to Mt. Vernon. The introductory film shows an apparently famous scene from Washington's life. Once, during the French and Indian War, Washington and his leader were caught in an ambush (with an entire troop). The leader is immediately killed, but Washington takes over. He directs everyone, keeps his troops from killing each other (accidentally), and leads them all to safety. All of this he does while being shot at, surrounded by utter chaos, and having two horses shot out from under him. No wonder people believed he could eventually defeat the British.

No comments: